General Rules of the Society
Comprising the Parishes of:
Alciston, Alfriston, Arlington, Barcombe, Beddingham, Berwick, Bishopstone, Chailey, Chalvington, Chiddingly, Cooksbridge, Danehill, East Hoathly, Falmer, Firle, Fletching, Framfield, Glynde, Hamsey, Horsted Keynes, Iford, Isfield, Itford, Kingston, Laughton, Lewes, Litlington, Lullington, Maresfield, Newick, Offham, Ovingdean, Piddinghoe, Ringmer, Ripe, Rodmell, Selmeston, Southease, Tarring Neville, Telscombe, Uckfield, Wilmington, Wivelsfield.
- The Society shall consist of Members paying an annual subscription as agreed by the Annual General Meeting. The subscription to be paid by 31st December each year. All members are entitled to vote.
- The Annual General Meeting shall appoint:
(a) the President, Chairman and Vice Chairman, all eligible for re-election yearly but can only serve for the maximum period of five years.
(b) the Vice President(s) and Treasurer shall be appointed annually.
- The Annual General Meeting appoint annually the following Committees and representatives
(a) the Committee consisting of all paid up members
(b) the Executive Committee consisting of Immediate past Chairman, Chief Ploughing Steward, Chairman of the Dinner Committee, Chairman of the Family Section, Hon Hedge Laying Secretary, together with three members appointed annually.
(c) The Dinner Committee
(d) The representatives to the Sussex Championships or any other representatives to other organisations as and when necessary President, Chairman, Vice Chairman and Treasurer ex-officio to all committees:
- The management of the Society to be vested in the Committee appointed each year.
- The Society shall appoint and remunerate a Secretary (not including any of its own members) as it thinks fit upon such terms and conditions permitted by law. The position of Secretary to be agreed at the first meeting after the Ploughing Match each year and shall run from 1st January annually
- All exhibits to be grown within the Parishes named. However the Committee is given the discretion to accept entries from land technically outside the Society’s area where the Member’s main holding lies within the list of Parishes appearing in the schedule.
- All exhibits intended for exhibition to be sent to the Show Ground before 10.00 am on the day of the Show or they will not be allowed to compete. This rule will be strictly adhered to.
- That the judges for all competitions to be appointed by the Committee.
- All exhibits to be sold by auction at 2.30 pm on the day of the Ploughing Match, the proceeds of the Sale to go to the funds of the Society.
- All outgoing tenants at Michaelmas are eligible to show crops etc. grown by them that year.
- Samples of corn to be half bushel. Bags for which will be supplied on the morning of the Show, being a fair sample of the same, grown from a piece of land in exhibitor’s own occupation or management, and not hand picked or otherwise unfairly cleaned.
- In the case of deliberate infringement of any Rules, by which the Exhibitor is disqualified, the facts shall be announced at the distribution of prizes.
- If any dispute arising the same to be referred to the Committee, whose decision shall be final.
- Prizes in the Ploughing Classes will be distributed immediately after the Ploughing has been judged
- It is necessary for all entries in all classes other than ones held at the Ploughing Match to be located before judging to enable Judges to visit the greatest possible number of entries in a limited time. Competitors are, therefore, required to co-operate by showing the Stewards the venue in advance by arrangement.
- All trophies awarded are perpetual.
- The financial year be 1st January to 31st December.
- In the event of the dissolution of the Society after all of its debts and liabilities and any property whatsoever to which it is beneficially entitled, the same shall be given to Charity at the discretion of the Committee.
Adopted Annual General Meeting 2011